Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

The screen on my HP Pavilion zt3000 laptop has changed and I don't why or how.

It seems bigger on the left and right sides, but not the top or bottom. It doesn't seem to be related to the screen resolution.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

share|improve this question

Try accessing your screen's OSD menu (via its physical buttons) and search for horizontal distortion. On my (HP) display, it's called "Custom Scaling".

On Dell :

Dell Display

Giving us your LCD model might help us guide you through this.

share|improve this answer
I don't think you will find physical screen buttons on a laptop screen, or any form of OSD for that matter... – Spectre May 24 '11 at 13:10
In my defense, he edited his post after I posted my answer ;) – Isaac Clarke May 24 '11 at 14:21

Graphics card drivers usually provide a way to "move" the visible screen area around the monitor. You can normally get to your graphics card driver settings via a menu entry when right-clicking on the desktop, or via the control panel.

However, your laptop and its video card are pretty old, so you will have to rely on the HP drivers (updates are on their website), rather than the unified drivers offered directly from AMD/ATI and Nvidia. Its possible this setting for moving the visible area might not exist on your PC.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.