I'm having a problem with Thunderbird and I can't for the life of me figure out what the problem is.
OS X 10.6.7
I have it configured to check 3 IMAP google accounts, one of which sees massive amounts of traffic (the account I use for mailing lists). I mention the high traffic volume because I suspect it is closely related to the problem.
The problem is this: Thunderbird regularly and without warning locks up, pinning one of my CPUs and going completely unresponsive for a period of anywhere between 5-45 seconds.
I've found that the best way to reproduce this bug is first configure 3 mail accounts, one with around 1.9Gigs of emails (no attachments, just regular emails), then simply click Write to open a new email dialogue. Within 10 seconds, Thunderbird (and the new Write window) locks up becoming unresponsive. You can continue to type as you normally would but characters are just held in the buffer until Thunderbird comes back, at which point it catches up on everything you typed.
I've tried checking the Activity Monitor while writing a new email to see if anything shows up, but nothing does. The only way I know how to get it to not lockup like that is to disconnect from the internet while I'm composing the email. But that's really only a temporary fix that really only applies to writing emails, and this lockup problem rears it's ugly head even when I'm browsing my email in my inbox.
I switched from Apple Mail to Thunderbird for the OpenPGP plugin, something Apple Mail still doesn't support natively to the best of my knowledge, so I can't switch back. I remember Apple Mail didn't have this problem though, so I'm considering using Apple Mail for anything not requiring signing/encrypting, but I'd really like to figure out and fix what Thunderbird is choking on. It's Open Source, after all.