Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I want to resize a window so it is larger than the physical screen, possibly using free software. I intend to use a GNU software, gvwm, to navigate the different parts of the big window.

Description of gvwm:

gvwm provides grid of virtual desktops for Windows, allowing the user's workspace to be larger than the screen area.The practical upshot is that you can have several "desktops", allowing you to sort your windows and have a less cluttered workspace.

The windows I`d like to enlarge could be a browser window, office document, jpg viewer, etc.

I have searched for a registry tweak, and searched for a virtual desktop manager, but found nothing yet.

I hope somebody can help me. Thanks!

share|improve this question
Duplicates this StackOverflow question, for what it's worth. – JdeBP May 25 '11 at 20:44
possible duplicate of Change screen resolution to exceed the maximum on Windows 7 – jdh Sep 25 '13 at 15:26
up vote 2 down vote accepted

I'm not sure what I am missing here, but you can drag the window to the bottom corner of the screen, resize it and repeat.

share|improve this answer
I thought that would be the answer as well, but when I tried it myself on an XP machine the tested window (an Explorer window) would not resize larger than what I assume is my monitor resolution. – JAB May 25 '11 at 19:38
Hmm, odd. Take a look and ScreenSpace ( ) . It's an application designed for netbooks made by a user here on SU ( ). He's offered users licenses before so worth a shot :) – John T May 25 '11 at 19:44
Thank you all. I installed Screensapce lite, and it accomplishes the same thing I thought i would need two softwares to do: gvwm and a "window resizer" – oscar May 26 '11 at 17:59

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.