I'm in the process of setting up my home network, and since I'm planning on having a backup/file server and doing backups to it over SSH, I'd like to get a scope on the speed of transfer and what I can hope to achieve transferring locally across my home network (so no real bandwidth concerns as far as uplink and downlink speed).
What are some realistic speeds I can expect for the following scenarios:
- Laptop backing up over WiFi, has a wireless-n capable card. I can connect this computer to my 5GHz channel if that makes a big difference.
- Laptop backing up over a CAT-6 cable.
- Laptop backing up directly to an external hard drive over USB 2.
- Local machine backing up directly to hard disks over SATA 2.
- Local machine backing up directly to hard disks over SATA 3.
The typical use-case will be #1, but I'd like to familiarize myself with what these different methods can achieve, so I can make the right choice when backing up. If need be, I can elaborate.