I've moved to a new internet connection and I'm having issues getting on the web consistently. A few websites (esp. Google) always load as expected. But, most other sites (incl. Bing, Facebook) sometimes get stuck on the "waiting for a response from " portion of the connection.
I don't think it's a web browser problem because FTP connections are having the same problem. I'm using the standard DNS servers provided by the ISP.
In the Internet Explorer web settings, both the "Automatically Detect Settings" and "Use a proxy server for your LAN" are unchecked.
I've contacted the ISP's IT department and the most they recommended was checking
Any ideas what could be going on/how I can fix it?
EDIT: The problem disappears in safe mode, but reappears when I switch back to regular mode (even with all startup programs disabled.
I also tried using the directions in this post: http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/157057-unknown-timeout-issue.html#post1348665 to no avail.
The problem also doesn't appear in a Linux install I have on the same machine.
EDIT 2: I've tried the most recent Realtek drivers from EVGA (motherboard manuf.) and also the versions pushed by manually updating the driver in Device Manager... neither has fixed the problem.
EDIT 3: So... after about a week on the new Windows install... the same problem came back. At this point, I've concluded that something must not be working right on the ISP level... I'm going to ask them to check out the router in the building and see if there's a problem on that level.