I've got to admit I'm completely lost on this one. My bosses personal computer has been acting up for a while since the IT guy he was using cloned his old HD to his new HD in the same computer. Basically what was happening is his account would start taking forever at loading personal settings. Then Internet Explorer and most any other Browser would crash immediately after opening. Then I ended up working on it and did the below:
- Malwarebytes (No threats)
- Microsoft Security Essentials (No Threats)
- sfc /scannow (nothing)
- chckdsk /r /f (nothing)
- Repair Install -> Windows Updates
- Machine seemed to be working for about 2 weeks then explorer started crashing at login
- Managed to create a new user and was able to login fine.
- Disabled non-essential services and startup items and he was able to login fine
Now he can't login even with almost everything disabled. He logs in and explorer.exe crashes. I try to open it using the Task Manager->File->New Task->explorer.exe and it crashes again right away.
The events in the event viewer: 1000/1002 basically stating Explorer.exe is the faulting module and crashed. Also sometimes seeing drwtsn32.exe in the faulting application module errors.