Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've moved from an OSX to PC workflow, and I've duplicated just about everything except when I need to use a menu item that I can't find.

On OSX, I'd often use the CMD+SHIFT+/ command which brings up the application help menu - from there you can type a command and the program will reveal the correct menu item.

Example in OSX Photoshop: CMD+SHIFT+/ , type in Crop, push down, enter.
      Works for any obscure menu item.
Example in W7 Photoshop: fish through menus till I see what I want.

It's an amazing productivity tool. When I tried Rhino, I started wondering why all applications didn't let you type in a command with auto complete. I found out with OSX you basically can. Now I can't live without it!

Is there any similar functionality or app for Windows 7?

Here's an example of looking up an obscure nested command.

enter image description here

share|improve this question
Nice idea, although I fear that on Windows it is still to be invented. – harrymc Jun 1 '11 at 14:12
Would be really great for all those submenu-laden apps ... *cough* Adobe *cough* – oleschri Jun 4 '11 at 21:08
The reason it can exist on OS X is that the menu is standardized. All applications have one, and they go through one API. For Windows apps, it's very different, depending on how the application was developed. The devs are pretty much on their own there. Still, I'd love to be wrong, it's a useful feature. – Daniel Beck Jun 5 '11 at 20:19
related: apparently this feature is called HUD in Ubuntu – n611x007 Feb 19 '13 at 15:51
@naxa, thanks. Hopefully this is a trend that gets picked up by Windows developers somehow. – Yuji Tomita Feb 19 '13 at 18:06

I'm not sure about this, but you might find application launchers to be useful here:

You may be able to rig up a command to search through the menu options

share|improve this answer

The closest I can think of is to hit the alt button, then hold shift and type a letter. In the menus, a letter is underlined, and when you type shift + letter it selects it.

share|improve this answer
You don't need to push shift once you're in alt mode - I use those all the time. For example, ALT + EAW is the warp command, but this method is only useful when you know where the command already. It's still fishing. – Yuji Tomita May 27 '11 at 18:55
Yep, if you do find a solution though, please let me know. – Will Gunn May 27 '11 at 19:52

I know this isn't what you're looking for, but it is the closest you can get:

Press F1 for Help, click Index tab, search for action/command you want in the help file.

Or, you could probably Google it just as fast.

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .