Does vertical position affect hard drive?
Does mounting a harddisk harddrive vertically decrease its lifespan?
I am already aware, or guess, that:
- There is a large variety of anecdotal evidence on various forums
- Some computer manufacturers mount HDs vertically.
- Mounting a harddisk upside down may be bad (hearsay: heat issues)
- Mounting a harddisk diagonally does... whatever, I can't imagine anyone doing that
- Rotating harddisk while it is in operation may cause strain due to torque
I am merely interested in whether a harddisk mounted vertically will last any shorter than if it was horizontally mounted. Has there been any scientific study? =)
Please note that there are 3 ways to vertically-mount a harddisk drive:
(upside-down I will call "controller-down")