Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What is written on the side of the 'mystery key' on an IBM PC 3180 keyboard?

enter image description here

To be more specific, I'm talking about the text seen here...

enter image description here

share|improve this question
I think that is the any key symbol, that you hit when the program says hit "any key". – N4TKD Jun 1 '11 at 13:13
Lets see. Is it a question about computer hardware or software? Yes. Is it a question with a definite answer ? yes. is it subjective, no. Looks like a perfectly relevant question to me. – Journeyman Geek Jun 1 '11 at 14:46
This wouldn't be as bad if it was a different key... the problem I see is: the key still has the same purpose, there is just an extra symbol on the side... I don't know about anyone else here but I can't make out what that symbol is. – Not Kyle stop stalking me Jun 1 '11 at 15:35
@JohnDR: Well, I think they wouldn't implement an actual any key... – Tom Wijsman Jun 1 '11 at 16:41
@peth: Sorry for having interpreted that as a playful joke (I guess I'm also a bit too alert because I'm in an exam period and have a lot of stress burden me) as it is of course a nice comment to read towards others. But imagine being interested in this and asking it and then having such a comment put this question or any of us in a bad daylight, I would've simply agreed or be less affected with a comment that just pointed out the flaws in a non-jocular way. I'll try to ignore jokes from now or place more polite canned bin responses that question why a bad daylight comment has been placed... – Tom Wijsman Jun 2 '11 at 13:36
up vote 6 down vote accepted

While the key itself is effectively "Delete" (or "strikeout" as I would like to think of that symbol) the picture is not very clear and I cannot find any clearer images on the internet.

Looking at the rather fuzzy top image I believe that what may be there is effectively


as in


but with "abc" and so denoting that it is to delete an entire word as opposed to an individual letter.

You can just about make it out if you squint a bit and use a bit of imagination...

enter image description here

I found a slightly better angle here and it's just looking more and more like "abc(strikeout)" to me

share|improve this answer
Is that a computer in a cardboard box that you linked???? Or is it a cardboard box case? – Not Kyle stop stalking me Jun 1 '11 at 15:16
And is that a USB cord attached to a plastic bottle??? what a strange picture... – Not Kyle stop stalking me Jun 1 '11 at 15:19
@Kyle, I've read through the page I found it on and I'm honestly not convinced just what it is really meant to be... see for yourself: – Mokubai Jun 1 '11 at 15:19
OK @Mokubai that totally created more questions than answers... I love the "terminals" which are just plastic bottles with keyboards "plugged in" to the top. The whole page is quite comical.. – Not Kyle stop stalking me Jun 1 '11 at 15:22
I just got it... it's a "bot net" or bottle net XD – Not Kyle stop stalking me Jun 1 '11 at 15:24

On the Affirmative 1227T, the corresponding key is marked 'Delete' on the top and 'DelWd' ("Delete word"?) on the front. So I'd guess that it's the same strikeout symbol, only striking out a word rather than a character.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.