Windows XP, SP3, Intel Core 2 Duo
Here are the symptoms:
- Since a couple of days is my System task permanently at about 35%
- When I want to Turn Off the computer then the Explorer needs to be force quit (not responding).
- One core is always at 100%, the other is always at about 30%
- Top busy tasks in the Task Manager: System 35%, System Idle Process 50%, Explorer 5%
- Nothing strange is showing up with ProcessExplorer, which would explain the CPU usage.
- Firewall is on.
- I don't have any AntiVirus Software installed (it's not connected to the internet ever anyway)
The computer is NEVER connected to the internet in any which way (and also not connected to my LAN because I have a massive paranoia in terms of Windows). I did not install anything in the last months. I only use the PC to develop some software (VS 2010).
How can I find out what's going on? Why do I need to force quit the Explorer when I shut it down? Something is probably "stuck" there and clogs the CPU...
Edit: Disabling the Startup items with MSCONFIG.EXE does not help. Even with everything disabled the System task is still at 35%.