Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

When Internet Explorer goes to use a fixed-width font, I want to override the default (Consolas or Courrier New, depending on Windows version) with my own font. Basically, whenever someone uses <tt> tags or asks for the fixed font. (I'd like to replace these with Anonymous Pro)

How can I do that?

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

I believe the "Plain text font" under Tools > Internet Options > General > Fonts is the one you need to change.


To override a font defined by the web page you are viewing, create a CSS file and in it put:

tt, pre, code { font-family: "Anonymous Pro" !important; }

Then under Tools > Internet Options > General > Accessibility, select "Format documents using my style sheet", and provide the location of the CSS file you created above.

share|improve this answer
That changes the font for plain text, yes. I don't think it affects anything else though. – Billy ONeal Jun 5 '11 at 8:39
Just confirmed it also changes the <tt> tag contents. – Soumya Jun 5 '11 at 8:40
Still shows up as Consolas for me. I don't think this setting changes it because the default here is Courier New -- but the default fixed-width font in IE is Consolas, not Courier New. – Billy ONeal Jun 5 '11 at 8:46
Do you have a sample page? As you can see here: my fonts are changing fine. – Soumya Jun 5 '11 at 9:38
See my new screenshot: – Soumya Jul 20 '11 at 21:57
  • Go to Internet Option >> Accessibility (I hope you know where to access Internet Option)
  • Check below option

ignore font styles specified on webpages

or whichever you prefer.

  • Go to Internet Option >> Font >> Select desired font. >> ok Now you can see that font on the web page is changed....
share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .