Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I accidentally pulled it out and broke it somehow. The USB port itself still works however, it seems that plastic piece is what keeps USB connectors plugged in because if I plug in anything now it's quite loose. Anyone know what this piece is called and if it's something I can repair easily?

EDIT: For clarification, I'm talking about the white piece inside the USB port here:


This isn't my computer btw. But like in all USB ports, they have this plastic piece inside which I pulled out and now you can see four metal prongs.


share|improve this question
Pics or it didn't happen. – Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams Jun 6 '11 at 7:07
Sorry I do not have a camera on me at the moment. – Sam Jun 6 '11 at 7:11
Why do you need to know? You won't be able to replace it, by the way. The whole Type A connector will need to be replaced. They all wear out in time, anyway. – pavium Jun 6 '11 at 7:31
I should have called that part the receptacle. The part which connects to it is a plug. In the specs I've seen they don't bother to give a name to the broken bit. It's just there to provide a surface against which the contacts are pressed when the plug is inserted. – pavium Jun 6 '11 at 7:39
I don't know the technical name, but its primary function it to maintain pressure between the contacts when you plug in a usb cable, and to enforce proper orientation of the usb cable, so you cannot plug it in backwards/upside down. – Moab Jun 6 '11 at 16:26

The USB specification doesn't give it a name - you could call it "the USB type A receptacle contact support tang":

enter image description here

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.