Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I need to run a repair install on Windows XP on a Seagate SATA drive. It's plugged into an ASUS motherboard. The repair doesn't recognize the partition (unknown) and from what I understand, that's because I need to load the SATA drivers before I proceed.

  1. Can anyone confirm this?
  2. Where can I get these drivers? I don't quite know what I'm looking for.
  3. How do I do it? Do I load it on a CD or something?
share|improve this question
If you did not have the proper Sata driver, setup would not see the hard drive at all. Unknown partition is a sign of another more serious problem. – Moab Jun 7 '11 at 10:53
up vote 0 down vote accepted

Sometimes, like it sounds in your case - You will need to load SATA drivers during a repair / install. When the XP disc is loading - It will say something similar to 'Press F6 to load SATA drivers' - This will begin a search on the floppy drive.

If you download the drivers for your motherboard, you should be able to find them from asus support site, extract them onto a floppy disc and your good to go.

share|improve this answer
don't have a floppy disc drive. If i burn the drivers to a CD-rom will that work? And do I just get the standard SATA drivers for my moterboard? – David Jun 7 '11 at 9:36
A CD might work - As long as you have two drives. Your XP CD is in one - Might be able to take it out temporarily though. Yes standard SATA drivers should be fine. – steve Jun 7 '11 at 9:40
I'm having a go with this:… – David Jun 7 '11 at 10:05
nope, didn't work.. – David Jun 7 '11 at 10:43
What about it didn't work? Did you get an error? – uSlackr Jun 7 '11 at 11:35

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .