I copy VM's between harddrives and it never fails that the network adapter can't pick up an IP address when in Bridge mode. I always have to (ipconfig /release * /renew) to recover. No biggie.
This time however, I have copied top virtual machines (to separate external hard drives) and they will not bridge. They want to acquire an internal IP (169....). I have tried the following to no avail:
Within the Virtual Machine
- Uninstalled / reinstalled
- Uninstalled / reinstalled VMTools (wasn't sure if any of the network drivers were associated with VMTools
From the Host
- removed / added network adapter
- From (Edit - Virtual Network settings) restored defaults
- Made sure only physical network was connected (no wireless)
- tried an assortment of settings for the bridged (replicate physical connection / or not)
The only way I can get the network connection to work is if I manually assign the IP/Gateway/DNS server.