Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

On my 32-bit Windows XP machine I accidentially imported a .reg file that contained the whole HKCR branch of a 64-bit Windows 2003, now I have my HKCR with lots of redundant and maybe even erroneous data.

The machine is still alive, but I don't know how long it lasts. I guess there's a backup somewhere done by Windows. How do I restore it?

I've found this guide, but it requires a start-up disk which is not very fortunate. Are there any other ways?

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

System Restore ought to get you back to a point prior to this if you have not disabled it. Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore. I would recommend trying it from safemode if it does not run successfully from a normal windows session

share|improve this answer
+1 This is the way to go. – KCotreau Jun 9 '11 at 13:10
This only works if System Restore was enabled prior to the incident. – sharptooth Jun 9 '11 at 13:19
you might note that system restore is off for you and an not an option. I did mention that it won't work in that case. – datatoo Jun 9 '11 at 13:22

You can use a (free) Live CD of an GNU/Linux operating system, mount your Windows partition and follow that guide of yours (somewhat loosely though).

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.