I'm visiting a friend in Japan and she has DSL but isn't very computer savvy. I am pretty computer savvy but never used DSL directly before. I want to know if it is easy or not to use my computer on her DSL while I'm visiting.
- We both have Windows 7 installed
- She doesn't have wifi just a box with "phone" and power cables going in and a network cable coming out
- We don't need to use both computers online at the same time
- I tried just unplugging her laptop and plugging mine in but my machine saw only a network and not the Internet
(apologies if this is a common question but searching didn't find anything, possibly because I don't know the right terminology)
- There seems to be something on my friend's computer called a "WAN miniport adapter" which must be started with a doubleclick in the area where the wifi connections would normally appear. This doesn't seem to refer to any kind of extra hardware. When I doubleclick on it the login dialog with username and password fields appears. I can't tell if this dialog is part of Windows 7 or some kind of driver software from the DSL modem/provider.