My computer crashed when running system restore. Now the system will display the windows boot animation (for a longer period of time than usual) followed by turning the monitor on and off and displaying a black screen with the cursor. All combinations do not work. The symptoms occur with any of the windows safe mode options (including low graphics, etc.).
What I have tried:
- Windows Repair CD - Startup Repair (No problem detected)
- Windows Repair CD - System Restore (Tells me to enable system restore :p )
- Windows Repair CD - icacls (I think I messed this up)
- Windows (on another partition) setting permissions for Administrators to Full
- Inspecting the registry hive files for corruption (Loaded them in Windows Pre-Install Env, it appeared OK)
- Windows Repair CD - system file checker (11MB log but no "corrupt file" etc. found)
- Disconnecting almost everything (except power cord)
- My Computer: Windows 7 Home Premium (Laptop)
- I can read the partition from a parallel Ubuntu install. In fact every file appears to be there.
- I cannot read the partition from a parallel Windows partition (Access Denied) even after altering the permissions.
Does anyone have suggestions on what to inspect or on next steps?