Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

While playing with GParted my partition table was damaged in the sense that an extended partition ended after the end of disk.

To fix it I used TestDisk to backup the current partition table and removed the partition losing quite a lot of data. When I looked at the backup TestDisk made, it's a text file with just the start and end of partitions written in clear text.

I was wondering if I could edit them, reducing the size of the offending partition and restoring the backup file using TestDisk, thus changing the partition size in the partition table without removing the entry.

Can I do that keeping in mind that the offending partition is empty near the end so no data loss would occur from me moving the boundary of the partition in the partition table?

share|improve this question
+1 for playing with partition tables – Mehrdad Jun 13 '11 at 14:47
I second Mehrdad, and have come to wish you luck both with the issue and finding somebody macho enough to help you out. May the Schwartz be with you. – new123456 Jun 13 '11 at 14:53
Are the beginning few sectors of the partition still intact? – Mehrdad Jun 13 '11 at 14:54

If the beginning few sectors of the partition are intact, take a look at EASEUS Partition Recovery.

share|improve this answer

If you still remember your partition parameters, try ranish partition manager. I used it back then when I was still a tinkerer..

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.