Until recently I have successfully managed my home wireless internet connection using an ADSL modem with a built-in router (a Netgear model DG834G v2).
A couple of days ago I have started to use a broadband phone (IP phone) and my Internet service provider sent me an IP phone ADSL modem (a xAvi model X5222r-p3).
Since the new modem doesn't have a wireless transmitter and my old modem doesn't have any IP phone support, I tried to connect the modems together. To do this I put:
- An ADSL splitter into the phone plug
- The phone into the ADSL splitter
- The new modem into j11 plug of the ADSL splitter
- The old modem into LAN 1 of the new modem
I then connect to the old modem via wireless and reach the Internet.
I keep losing the Internet connection from the old modem - that is:
- The new modem still has the connection
- I never lost the connection to the old modem