I am planning to install Nexenta (or NexentaStor, I've not decided yet) to build a ZFS NAS out from the following machine:
- MB: Intel DG45FC
- Disks: 4x 2TB WD caviar green
- RAM: 2x 2GB of non-ECC Kingston (I can't afford ECC)
- System disk: 2x 500GB 2.5'' WD to host a mirrored pool for the system and maybe another mirrored pool for high-priority data
Problem: The MB has only 5 SATA (4 internals + 1 eSATA) ports, whereas I need 4 + 2 SATA ports. I foresee two options:
1) Attach the system disks on the MB controller and buy a 2-port PCI-e x1 SATA card. Issue: Does anyone know the throughput of the ICH10R with Solaris ZFS in RAID5 mode?
2) Buy a 4-ports PCI-e x1 SATA card. Because I am not sure the ICH10R in AHCI mode is very fast, I am also thinking of buying a supported card with decent speed. Issue: I can't find a PCI-e x1 card that is supported and has 4 ports. This comprehensive list http://blog.zorinaq.com/?e=10 doesn't seem to have any that are compatible with my settings.
What do you recommend?