Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Which one of these cables is the one I have to buy to connect a FireWire 400 device I have to the FireWire 800 port of the new 27" iMac?

share|improve this question
Firewire 800 is always the 9-pin, so it depends which Firewire 400 is on your device. What device are you looking to connect? – viking Jun 16 '11 at 18:26
my device uses one of these regular firewire connectors, the one that is a rectangle with one curved side... I think it is a regular 6 pin – SpaceDog Jun 16 '11 at 18:55
up vote 2 down vote accepted

The first cable will work for you. The Firewire 400 with the curved side is 6-pin.

share|improve this answer
thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! – SpaceDog Jun 16 '11 at 19:37

Numbers 1, 4, 5, 7 & 8 should all work. Of course the adapters will assume that you have a FW400 cable already.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.