I've been looking for Windows webcam software that will run as a Windows service without any user login. The goal is to use the webcam as a cheap security camera and log the results to secure networked storage (windows share, not FTP). The requirements are:
- Motion detection
- Video capture
- Runs as a service (should start recording immediately after reboot)
- Nice to have: Round-robin storage, e.g. 10Gb limit, oldest files overwritten/deleted when space gets low
I've read the other webcam questions but still haven't stumbled across anything suitable.
Evaluations thus far:
Title MotionDetect Service Snapshots Video SpaceLimit License Yawcam Yes Yes Yes No No GPL WebCam ZoneTrigger Yes No Yes Yes No Commercial Dorgem Yes No Yes Yes No GPL AbelCam Yes No Yes Yes No Commercial Logitech Yes No Yes Yes No Paired with camera IspyConnect Yes No Yes Yes Yes Free SecureCam (SourcefoYes No Yes Yes No GPL AbelCam Yes No Yes Yes No Commercial Active WebCam Yes Yes(?) Yes Yes Volume Free Commercial WebCam Surveyor Yes No Yes Yes No Commercial WebCamsPy NA NA NA NA NA GPL Camera: Logitech Webcam Pro 9000 Windows 7 32-bit WebCamsPy failed to initialize so couldn't be tested
So far, the contenders:
- Active Webcam comes the closest, and claims to run as a service, but i haven't been able to get it to record after a cold boot even though a service is running.
- Yawcam can be set up as a service but doesn't record video.
- IspyConnect has exactly the type of space limit I want and looks great, but doesn't run as a service (seems also to be a bit of a cpu hog)
Any other suggestions? I'm locked into Windows so can't use linux Motion, which looks almost perfect. Any pointers to rich Windows webcam/motion detection libraries out there that could easily be turned into a command line program would also be appreciated.