Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

How do you make the edges of an image look cut? I'm talking about an image such as the following taken from this webpage:

Cut image

The pages look like they are "torn" and it's like it's torn randomly (which looks very good) - does anyone know how to achieve this effect in photoshop?

Of rather, is there a program that allows a lay-person to create this sort of image?

share|improve this question
Do you actually require any solution to use Photoshop? If not, what OS are you using? – Daniel Beck Jun 17 '11 at 5:46
nop, i just need it to be do-able by anyone without a sense of design. I'm 32-bit windows vista sp2 home premium – Pacerier Jun 17 '11 at 15:40
up vote 4 down vote accepted

That one could have been done using Faststone capture where it is a "two" click option, just do the image grab, click edges and select torn, of course the edges are not the same so it could be a different screen capture program.

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
beautiful solution, though you'll agree it isn't real as in its too nicely torn – Pacerier Jun 17 '11 at 15:42
@Pacerier: I'm not sure what you think a "real" torn screen capture would look like... but maybe this would be a better solution for you? :) – Flimzy Jan 11 '12 at 17:11
But in all seriousness, you could easily scan/photograph some real torn paper, and use that edge for your border with a minimum of Photoshop/Gimp work. – Flimzy Jan 11 '12 at 17:12
@Flimzy lols ok – Pacerier Jan 11 '12 at 18:35

That effect can be done in any graphics editing program with basic capabilities. Cut away the part of the image you don't want, and use a jagged line. Then add a drop-shadow effect.

share|improve this answer
i've really no idea how i could do that and make it look nice (look really torn) – Pacerier Jun 17 '11 at 15:41

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .