Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I sometimes need to copy/paste text into two windows and compare the contents for a quick hack, ie. without having to save both documents to disk, and display the two docs side-by-side vertically so I can scroll them independantly (WinMerge doesn't seem to support independent scrolling.)

Since the documents only live in RAM, text editors will display a non-descript tab/filename like "Untitled1" or "New file 1":

enter image description here

Does someone know of a Windows editor that supports...

  • renaming tabs with more descriptive names even with documents that haven't been saved to disk,
  • side-by-side, vertical tiling, and
  • independant scrolling?
share|improve this question

Vim will do that. The Cream version has an interface that is more consistent with other Windows programs.

First start gvim. Create two side-by-side windows by executing :vnew. Paste your documents into the two windows. To show their differences, execute :windo diffthis. The two windows scroll together by default. To make them scroll independently, execute :set noscrollbind. To name each window, click in the window to select it, then execute :f somename where somename is the name you've chosen for that document.

share|improve this answer
Thanks for the tip on Cream. – OverTheRainbow Jul 12 '11 at 11:54

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.