I've edited my hosts file in a Windows 7 VM, but it doesn't work in IE. It works with Firefox, though. I hope this itemized list will help more than a verbose description.
- Windows 7 in a VirtualBox VM, Linux (ArchLinux) host
- VM has a bridged network adapter
The hosts file has a series of entries to the same IP for different hosts names:
192.168.1.100 one.local 192.168.1.100 two.local
- The Internet options has no proxy configured and no automatic configuration.
What I've done
- Restarted IE
- Restarted Windows
- Ran ipconfig /flushdns
- ping one.local returns 192.168.1.100
- Firefox works; requests to one.local return the webpage from my Windows VM's host.
- IE returns Bing search results for one.local.