I'm imagining a Pivot Table with a field called "Part Number."
- In your pivot table you'll need to sort the items in Part Number so that those with the smallest values are together.
- Select the items that you want to group into your "Other" category. Right-click and choose "Group..."
- You'll now have a new field called "Part Number2" in your field list and to the left (if it's a row field) of the Part Number field.
- In this new field there will be an item called "Group1". Click into the cell with that label and, in the formula bar, type "Other." That changes the name of the new item.
- Right-click in that same cell, the one that now says "Other," and choose "Expand/Collapse" and then "Collapse Entire Field." This hides the original Part Number field.
That should do it for you. Your pivot chart should now be charting the new field too.
One thing that has helped me with transitioning from Excel 2003 is that Pivot Table Options> Display now has a "Classic PivotTable layout" choice which might make this a little easier to maneuver if you set it before you start.
A great source for Pivot Table info is Debra Dalgleish's site.