Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My dad has a notebook and the key which has the "/?°" symbols acts like ctrl. Known factory problem. Anyway, his keyboard also has a "?" marked under the "w" key.

Pressing ctrl + alt + w will display the "?" character (question, interrogation mark).

Except on Office applications, like Word and Outlook, which will output "¿".

I've searched Word and Outlook menus looking for a parameter that could be, somehow, remapping the notebooks keyboards, applying different regional configurations, language, or encodings. Since it only happens on Office apps, I believe the solution is within its options, but I was unable to find it where.

Pressing ctrl + alt gr + w will display ? correctly, but I am stumped by this problem. I could remap the keys and make "/?° behave correctly, but my curiosity now is eating me alive. Why only on Office?

share|improve this question



Is the HTML entity for a reversed question mark.

So if you hold ALT and type 191(I'm on a laptop, can't test this), it should output that.

As for Office, must be a setting. Try summoning the "insert" menu in Word, which will show you many symbols. Find the reversed question mark and if there is a custom shortcut present, that will be your answer.

share|improve this answer
Alt + 168 will do this. Alt + 191 produces ┐ – Ciaran Aug 26 '09 at 22:43
@Ciaran: Anything above 127 depends on your system's codepage. (I wish it was easier to type Unicode codepoints like that...) – grawity Feb 8 '11 at 10:27
Point taken :). – Ciaran Feb 10 '11 at 10:42
You can use Alt+0191 to produce the inverted question mark. Adding the zero forces Windows to use the UTF page instead of ANSI/Windows-1251. – Bacon Bits Apr 19 '11 at 1:47

Word has an annoying Autocorrect feature that replaces characters as you type. Open Tools → Autocorrect Options, look if there is anything that generates a ¿ character, and remove it if so.

If that's not it, you can use this same feature to replace the ¿ character with a ? whenever Word thinks you typed it.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.