Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is it possible to blur/smudge only one colour in

e.g. blurring a red box with a thick black border so that the red blurs into the black but the outside of the border remains sharp?

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

magic wand the red (possibly with global as opposed to contiguous flood mode - that's the lightbulb on the top bar), copy, paste in new a layer, then run some kind of blurring filter on the red on the new filter. reduce the opacity of the layer to taste.

share|improve this answer
is it possible to do this for ALL the red boxes in an image? i have over 100 – GreyCloud Jun 28 '11 at 13:06
yes. magic wand, then switch flood mode to global - it will select all areas of the same colour, or close enough based off your tolerance level. – Journeyman Geek Jun 28 '11 at 13:07
thanks, thats got the selecting. However when i select blur it only blurs within the selection. How can i blur with big black border of the red box? I want to make the black border smaller and the red bit bigger. hope that makes sense – GreyCloud Jun 28 '11 at 13:33
select the area. copy it. paste it in a new layer. blur the NEW layer. that way you'll blur the whole thing, but only the red bits. – Journeyman Geek Jun 28 '11 at 13:36
thanks that's a neat trick :) – GreyCloud Jun 28 '11 at 13:59

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .