Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

My question doesn't deviate away from the title (in fact, it is the title): Why are there two sets of the CTRL, Alt, and Shift modifier keys when only on one of each is necessary?

share|improve this question

closed as not constructive by hyperslug, Nifle, Sathya Jun 30 '11 at 17:31

As it currently stands, this question is not a good fit for our Q&A format. We expect answers to be supported by facts, references, or expertise, but this question will likely solicit debate, arguments, polling, or extended discussion. If you feel that this question can be improved and possibly reopened, visit the help center for guidance.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Do you only have one hand? – random Jun 30 '11 at 4:24
As a member of the sinistral minority, I appreciate not having to use my right hand for everything. – pavium Jun 30 '11 at 5:19
The two ALT keys are actually different, with the ALTGr key usually the same as pressing CTRL+ALT. – paradroid Jun 30 '11 at 8:38
up vote 14 down vote accepted

When touch-typing, you use the alternate side "function" keys.


qwer,asdf,zxcv you'd use the right shift with your right hand without needing to stretch your left hand while pressing one of the aforementioned keys.

share|improve this answer
Ergonomics FTW. – surfasb Jun 30 '11 at 4:32
The 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, T, G, and B keys (plus a few others) are missing from that list -- these should also be used in conjunction with modifier keys on the right-hand side of the keyboard. – Randolf Richardson Jun 30 '11 at 5:35
I figured Prasanth knew what I meant. I'll be sure to define myself more thoroughly next time. – Zac Bruce Jun 30 '11 at 6:11

These modifier keys are very important for professional typists. If there was only one modifier key for CTRL, Alt, and Shift, then typing speed could be slowed down when one of these modifier keys was needed.

There is a concept of a "dividing line" which is supposed to be like this (and can be seen in the coloured keyboard image included below which comes from an instructional typing program which was probably designed for children):

  • For the Right-Shift key all the keys on the left up to: 5, T, G, and B

  • For the Left-Shift key all the keys on the right starting from: 6, Y, H, and N

(The same usage applies for the CTRL and Alt modifier keys.)

Unfortunately function keys are a bit of a mess depending on how the keyboard manufacturer designed the spacing, but traditionally they're grouped in three groups of 4 keys with F1, F2, F3 and F4 on the left-hand side, and F5 through F12 on the right-hand side, of the dividing line.

enter image description here

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .