Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a five year old Sony Vaio laptop (vgn-fw31m) that has had impact damage to the audio-output mini-jack for about the last year or so. In a recent discussion with my brother, we wondered whether it would be possible to write a program that would enable windows to use the microphone mini-jack input as the audio-output? As I currently use this laptop for work I am not keen to risk pulling it apart in order to replace the components comprising the audio-out. I therefore 'hope' that a programming solution exists. I would really appreciate any advice on this and eagerly await your response. Kind regards,

qftme :)

share|improve this question
Unless there's some special hardware in the unit to enable this, it's not possible. You should be able to get someone to fix the output jack (maybe just with wires hanging out) for a relatively small charge. Or get a USB-to-audio adapter. – Daniel R Hicks Jun 30 '11 at 17:08

I know some realtek audio cards would actually ask you what you plugged in as soon as you plugged in a jack, regardless of the actual port you plug it into, you could configure it as whatever you wanted... But it all depends on the type of audio card that is installed in your computer. I would say that 95% of the time either it is not possible whit that hardware, or extremely difficult.

You best bet would be to buy a cheap usb to audio adapter, something similar to this:

share|improve this answer
yep there are plenty of USB audio dongles out there that can do this – Keltari Aug 24 '12 at 5:38

It's possible your hardware could support this - as microphones and speakers are, in large part, the same structures being used differently. I doubt it though, as the audio hardware is probably rigged to amplify in one direction only - that just makes sense.

IF you could do this, you'll likely need to get the source code for your audio driver and edit it.

However, unless you're really comfortable with that kind of thing already, or unless you have insane amounts of free time, I think you're out of luck.

I suppose it may be worth your time to take a closer look at that broken jack and see if you might be able to fix that too. There's not a lot of parts involved with that, basically 3 wires and something to keep them oriented properly.

But being realistic, I suggest you look for a USB solution, such as a USB sound card, or, perhaps USB headphones. Fortunately for you, at least it's a pretty old laptop anyway.

share|improve this answer
You wrote "IF you could do this, you'll likely need to get the source code for your video driver and edit it." Don't you mean "sound driver"? – N.N. Jun 30 '11 at 16:51
Heh, well.. yeah.. Don't get me wrong video driver editing could be a riot in its own right. But indeed, I meant sound driver - I'll edit this now. Thanks – Doc Jun 30 '11 at 16:56

No that isn't possible. It's a hardware issue.

The electronic circuitry attached to a microphone jack differs from the electronic circuitry attached to a line-out, headphone-out or speaker-out jack.

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .