Take the 2-minute tour ×
Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In Visio 2010, how can I change the shape of a single element?

If I create a new one, I'd have to re-apply text, connections and format.

share|improve this question
I am fairly sure there is no way to directly do this in Visio. It may be possible to come close to this feature by writing some code using Visio's VBA support - however that would be a relatively complex task. Can you explain more about why it is you need to do this? Perhaps we can find some other options that will help. –  saveenr Oct 11 '11 at 3:33

2 Answers 2

up vote 7 down vote accepted

I asked this question directly to the Program Manager of Visio 2010 at Microsoft during an internal MS event on campus and the answer was: "This is not possible". I have been missing this feature since Visio 2003 and hope that it will be finally added in the next version of Office.

share|improve this answer

An update: this feature was added to Visio 2013

See: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/officedevdocs/archive/2012/08/23/change-shapes-in-visio-2013.aspx

share|improve this answer
Thanks for the info! Oh finally! Good thingI'm already on Office 2013. –  peterchen Feb 8 '13 at 10:30

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.