Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm not sure at which layer this functionality would have to exist, so I'm just tagging this for my own stack.

In my specific case, I'd really like to map the [Function Key]-J key combination to the down arrow, [Function Key]-K combination to the up arrow on my laptop -- in other words, pressing Fn-J would simulate the down arrow being pressed. I'm running Arch+Gnome3.

I guess xkeycaps can't do key-combos. I know you can do custom mappings to various actions in Gnome, but can't re-map keys in this way.

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Another option is Autokey - key-mapping software similar to Authohotkey for Windows.

share|improve this answer

You use xmodmap, which maps keys in Linux, and xev, which traps key events and prints to the screen. Xev will let you see the mappings for each key pressed.

You will need to change the .xmodmap file, it should be in your home directory. If not there you create one or you can find it in /etc/x11, however, altering this file will change the system for every user.

Good luck.

share|improve this answer
I tried xmodmap (via xkeycaps) and it doesn't seem to allow for key combos, unless I missed something. – Aaron Jul 3 '11 at 4:04
Or at least it doesn't allow for key-combos on a laptop's Funciton key (thinkpad T410s). After digging around for a few days, I think I might be out of luck. – Aaron Jul 3 '11 at 5:00
@Aron, what about Authokeys? – slotishtype Jul 3 '11 at 14:18
doesn't support Fn, but it looks really good anyway. But I think this answers my original question well enough. Do you want to add that as a separate answer and I'll mark it as accepted? – Aaron Jul 4 '11 at 10:21
@Aron, Will do. cheers. – slotishtype Jul 4 '11 at 11:54

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .