Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm trying to add a second monitor to my work Windows 7 hp PC. It's a low-profile model so won't take a full height graphics card with 2 outputs. It does have a DisplayPort socket though.

Is it possible to have a 'stretched' screen setup using the integrated VGA socket to one monitor and the DisplayPort (probably via a DP to DVI adapter) to another?

Plugged in a DP to DVI adaptor and it worked. Cheap and simple!

share|improve this question
Is there no way for you to get a low end card with two ports? – Michael K Jul 1 '11 at 14:32
@Michael. The only half height ones I've been able to find have one port. The 'low profile' cards with 2 ports all seem to have a full height back plate. – pelms Jul 1 '11 at 16:17
up vote 2 down vote accepted

There is. You'll just need to make sure that the BIOS is set to have both enabled.

share|improve this answer
Ta. I'll give that a go after the weekend. – pelms Jul 1 '11 at 16:18
Couldn't find an entry for this in the BIOS but got a DP to DVI adaptor (about £7) and worked straight off :¬) – pelms Jul 12 '11 at 9:47

hey companies like ATI and Nvidia have been making low power and low profile cards for years. They are cheap and fit in any computer with a PCI-E slot. Example: enter image description here

share|improve this answer
Something like that would be ideal but the only ones I can find for sale are the 3 port, full height ones, e.g. – pelms Jul 1 '11 at 23:17

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.