Take the 2-minute tour ×
Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This question already has an answer here:

I'm after a way to minimize the active window in Windows with a keyboard shortcut, just like cmd + m works on my Mac.

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Ƭᴇcʜιᴇ007, Tog, Scott, Mokubai, Dave M Sep 8 '13 at 15:44

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

2 Answers 2

up vote 9 down vote accepted

Using the Windows Key + Down Arrow.

Update: If the window is Maximized, it will first go "Un-maximized" then a second Win + Down Arrow will Minimize.

Here is a link to all of the Windows Key Shortcuts available in Windows 7.


share|improve this answer
When I do that, it first "unmaximizes" the window and then minimizes it. I guess that's ok. –  chelmertz Jul 6 '11 at 12:26

Minimizing single window is not possible via simple shortcut. However, you can use combination of two shortcuts Alt+Space followed by letter N.

share|improve this answer
isn't that alt + space? –  dsolimano Jul 5 '11 at 14:21
Doesn't work for me, besides I already have Launchy hotkeyd as <kbd>alt+space</kbd> so that wouldn't work either. –  chelmertz Jul 6 '11 at 12:26
@dsolimano: typo, fixed now... –  Josip Medved Jul 6 '11 at 23:30

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.