Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

This question is not about my own computer, but a shared computer that I sometimes manage. It seems one of the users changed some setting so now every webpage you visit looks just plain wrong. I've included a screenshot here of the Google homepage, but it's doing this kind of thing with any and every website I visit.

Not loading stylesheets properly

As you can see, everything looks really "boxy"; it's got borders where it shouldn't, and so on. Does anyone know what this user might have done to have caused this change in IE? And what I need to do in order to change things back? Thanks very much!

share|improve this question
Can you list any add-ons that are installed in the browser? – Breakthrough Jul 8 '11 at 2:03
up vote 3 down vote accepted

I could find nothing that allowed me to reproduce this behavior, nor have I ever seen that happen before. I would try opening IE with no add-ons (usually in Start>Accessories>System Tools), and if that does not work, I would consider going to Tools>Internet Options>Advanced>Reset and doing that.

I am not even sure that it is just a browser setting, but the latter option will probably tell you for sure.

share|improve this answer
Doing the Reset fixed it. First I tried opening it in "No Addons' mode, but that didn't solve anything. But then I tried your suggestion of resetting it to the default settings, and that did the trick. Thanks! – SoaperGEM Jul 10 '11 at 1:37
@SoaperGEM I am glad that worked. That can fix a lot of things, but I have no idea how it started in the first place. At least you are better now. Thank you very much for marking the answer. I greatly appreciate it. – KCotreau Jul 10 '11 at 1:38

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.