Take the 2-minute tour ×
Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The other day I've seen somebody use a MacBook. He had a pretty cool app that allowed him to have a terminal fly down from the top of his screen when pressing a key combo.

Do you know what that app is called? I forgot to write down the name.

He told me there was something similar for Ubuntu, but this was for the Mac.

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 4 down vote accepted


a system-wide terminal on a hot-key

It will basically show Terminal.app with a system-wide hot-key from wherever you are.


iTerm2 can also do that if you need a Terminal with a system-wide shortcut. It won't "fly down" though Apparently, it does fly down! iTerm2 has a bit more features than the default Terminal.app, so it's worth taking a look at it.

enter image description here

share|improve this answer
+1, Visor is great. There's another SIMBL-Plugin which works well with Visor, imho a must have: https://github.com/dabeeeenster/TerminalTabSwitching - This allows you to switch tabs in terminal.app with CMD+1/2/3 etc. –  trurl Jul 8 '11 at 9:38
@trurl That's the number 1 feature I was missing from Terminal.app, thanks for adding this. –  slhck Jul 8 '11 at 9:40
Wow! Thanks for your answer! iTerm actually does fly down, when you check the "HotKey toggles a dedicated window with profile". –  Sebastian Hoitz Jul 8 '11 at 9:42

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.