Can anyone recommend a method to export a subset of a file system and to synchronize changes to those files with the original file system?
Suppose you have:
- a laptop with a small-capacity SSD (e.g., 128 GB) and
- a NAS device containing all of your data (e.g., 1.2 TB) in a unified file system.
How do you go about working on your files while away from your NAS and sending modifications back to the NAS later on? The most direct solution appears to be an application that:
- Indexes the file system on the NAS.
- Allows you to "check out" some of those files/directories (i.e., make local copies) on your laptop when the NAS is connected.
- Identifies and synchronizes changes to those files on a regular basis (e.g., the way Dropbox automatically syncs files) whenever the NAS is available.
Is anyone aware of a solution that does this? Or does someone have another approach to managing files when working on laptops with small hard drives?