Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I would like to create a Microsoft Word document (doc or dot), that faciliates filling a form (or a table) in such a way that user types one character and the cursor is moved to the next cell. Like in the following exhibit for a eight-letter word:

enter image description here

Currently, I am achieving this by using one-row table and pressing Tab after each character.

Is there a way to do this either by customizing table oraz using the Form Controls from the developer tab?

share|improve this question
why no using fixed width character font instead (even with a custom background)? Because that seems like a lot of hassle – dvhh Jul 13 '11 at 8:42
@dvvh It is a good idead. Is fixed width settable on any font or do I have to find a font that has fixed width by design? Write it as an answer so I can upvote that. – nan Jul 13 '11 at 8:53
up vote 0 down vote accepted

As told already, I might be easier to use a fixed width font, you have to use a font that has a fixed width by design, to name a few on windows system:

  • Consolas
  • Courrier New (most common)
  • Lucida console
share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.