Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

The latest update to Thunderbird email client shows the attachments under a separate panel. I'd like the panel to display expanded automatically.

How do I do that? It doesn't seem to be in the help files or the release notes.

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

As per this writeup on the Attachment Pane Redesign on MozillaZine, you can add the following to userChrome.css to remove the attachment toggles:

#attachmentView > [collapsed="true"] {
  visibility: visible !important;

#attachmentToggle {
  display: none !important;

Edit: Corrected filename to userChrome.css

share|improve this answer
Thanks. I ended up using the "Attachment Options" extension referenced in the article. – Brad Bruce Jul 21 '11 at 10:59
Sanjay- nice call, I used the code in your answer however you should note, the file and directory probably need to be created and the file name is not userContent.css (that has a different purpose) it is userChrome.css. – user131792 May 2 '12 at 14:25
Ahh .. good catch on the filename. I'm updating my answer. – Sanjay Sheth May 4 '12 at 18:11

Right-click on the attachment pane, and click "Initially Show Attachment Pane."

(The option was added in Thunderbird v24 and up.)

share|improve this answer
And it seems as if it this option was removed again. At least I can't find it in Thunderbird 38.7.0. – mrt Apr 3 at 17:42

This ability to change this through the UI has been removed in newer versions, but it still exists in about:config (Preferences > Advanced > General > Config Editor...)

Set mailnews.attachments.display.start_expanded to true

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.