Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I need an extension cable with male USB to PS/2 MINI DIN 6 connector. I have something like this adapter:

adapter photo

However it does not fit in my Aten KVM switch correctly (the reduction is wider than standard PS2 connector) and I do not want to buy another switch or mouse. I'm thinking about creating an adapter from an old keyboard cable plus a male USB connector - in fact the same as the adapter on the picture, but with about 20cm of cable. However, I am not sure whether the mentioned adapter is passive or whether there is some integrated circuit to do the conversion.

I could also use a PS2 extension cord, but it's not an optimal solution. Has anyone got any experience in this area? I don't want to disassemble the reduction just to find out what is inside!

share|improve this question

migrated from Jul 14 '11 at 12:25

This question came from our site for electronics and electrical engineering professionals, students, and enthusiasts.

You could get the ps2 extension cord and hack it so it's smaller. Then it's just like an extension to your adaptor – barlop Jul 14 '11 at 13:40
up vote 0 down vote accepted

Its a passive adaptor, usually, though there's active adaptors. Whole thing is encased in plastic internally, so you might be able to get away with hacking away the outer casing. I've never seen a extension cord of the sort you're talking about - you will want to check the maximum distance.

Also, why a male connector? you are looking at a female connector there.

share|improve this answer
As I know, the PS2 connector on the adapter is male while the USB one is female. The female PS2 is on the motherboard. – Juhele Jul 14 '11 at 13:30
wouldn't you basically want a version of what you have there with a 'skinny' male PS/2 and female USB on the other end? – Journeyman Geek Jul 14 '11 at 13:42
yes, you are right. In fact, standard PS/2 connector fits ok, while the adapter is a little bit "fat" and presses the other plugged connectors (probably because of the female usb connector) so I am afraid of damaging the input connectors of the KVM switch. This is the only reason, why I wanted to solve this. – Juhele Jul 14 '11 at 13:45

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .