Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In a command prompt, how do I scroll up through the results using only the keyboard?

In Linux, I think I could use Shift + Page-Up. Is there an equivalent in XP's command line?

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

Alt+Space, then e, then l. Scroll. Actually, it's just the system menu, as you will see. :D

Then use the arrow keys, of course.

share|improve this answer
+1 I was just going to say that, but to be honest, it is easier just to right-click the mouse in the screen, and click scroll. – KCotreau Jul 16 '11 at 21:16
Well, the mouse wheel does it, too. So if you don't have a scroll-mouse, that would be the easy way. – Abraxas Jul 17 '11 at 2:42
Thanks Abraxas :o) Perfect – iokevins Jul 18 '11 at 4:40

Although Abraxas' answer technically does it (I was going to give that as one of my answers too), I don't sense that is what you are really looking for. Normally I would try to summarize this link, but it is fairly involved, so I will just post it. In the end, he actually lets you download the complete script, which should give you the functionality the way I believe you intended. (see the download on the last line of the actual article, but before the comments)

share|improve this answer
Thanks KCotreau :o) I use AutoHotKey so I will check this out as well! – iokevins Jul 18 '11 at 4:41

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.