Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have an old HP printer which I had connected to my old PC. The printer has a 36 pin connecter and I used a cable to connect that to a 25 pin parallel port on my old PC.

The 36 pin port on the printer looks like this:

enter image description here

I would now like to connect the printer to my newer laptop which doesn't have a 25 pin parallel port. I bought a USB to 36 pin cable.

However, the 36 pin connector on the cable from Amazon is the right shape and has the right number of pins but is about 2x as large as the port on my printer (old cable on top, USB cable on bottom).

cable comparison

Is it possible to buy a USB cable which will connect to my old HP printer? What is this smaller version of the 36 pin port called?

share|improve this question

migrated from Jul 17 '11 at 15:16

This question came from our site for system and network administrators.

Please read our FAQ next time, moving to SU. – Chopper3 Jul 17 '11 at 15:15
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Buy a Centronics To Mini Centronics Adapter.

share|improve this answer

Another option, if you're using an expandable PC, is to get a PCI(e) Parallel port card.

PCIe Parallel adapter

May be a bit more expensive than cables and/or converters, but less unwieldy and I find that they work considerably better than Centronix to USB adapters for properly supporting bi-directional printer drivers.

share|improve this answer

So I've done some research now and it turns out the 36 pin connector is a Centronics connector. HP use a variant called Mini-Centronics. It seems that no one sells a single cable to connect Mini-Centronics to USB but you can buy Mini-Centronics to Centronics adapters.

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .