Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

If I'm in vi, and I see that I've transposed two characters, it is easily fixed by putting the cursor over the first and typing x followed by p in command mode.

Is there a similar trick that works at the bash command line in emacs mode? I realize that I can set to vi key bindings, but I prefer not to do that given that emacs key bindings are the default for many command lines in my life.

share|improve this question
looking for ctrl-t???? – kindahero Jul 19 '11 at 9:25
Yep, though I didn't know it. Answer, and I'll upvote and accept. – Eric Wilson Jul 19 '11 at 12:39
up vote 11 down vote accepted

Emacs key binding Ctrl-t runs the command transpose-chars, which also works in the terminal

share|improve this answer
yay! same as Sublime.. easy to remember – ptim Dec 24 '15 at 0:09

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.