I recently got a helmet camera for my motorbike and was able to make videos, however it stores it in Motion JPEG, which is very space inefficent. 30 minutes of 640x480 takes up 2GB. I can convert that to mpg, with this command:
ffmpeg -i myvideo.avi myvideo.mpg
Which is a good space saving. However is this the best video format? Should I use something new like AAC? If so, how? (ie what's the ffmpeg/mencoder/gstreamer/transcode command)
- Convertable on linux using only open source tools
- Must play on linux
- Don't care about making it play on other devices (like ipods)
- Should keep reasonably the same quality
- Don't care about the audio, I'm tempted to remove it
- I'm willing to use 'patent encumbered' formats like mp3, etc.
- I'm not too interested in shaving miliseconds off treanscoding time or extreme file savings.