I want to have UNIX or Linux on my laptop but I found that the wireless did not work on all the ones I tried. I have not tried again for over 6 months but don't have the time to experiment. It took me a week straight last time, I tried PCBSD (8.1), Ubuntu, OpenSUSE (11.3), and various others. The laptop was just released then, so I can understand why all the drivers might not have been compatible then.
I am hoping someone else has successfully added a distribution and can tell me which.
LAPTOP: Dell Inspiron M5010 (15R) [not to be confused with Dell N5010, which is the Intel version]
Here is my hardware (from Speccy):
- MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
- CPU: AMD Phenom II N850
- RAM: 8.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
- Chipset: 785GX
- Southbridge Model: SB850
- Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250
- Hard Drive: 488GB Seagate ST950032 5AS SATA Disk Device
- Audio: IDT High Definition Audio
- Network: DW1501 Wireless-N WLAN Half-Mini Card