Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've been searching around, but the term vimrc sts has yet to lead me to an actual explanation of the value. Many people talk about using it for tabs/indenting, but what does it stand for? Is it soft tabs?

I don't like blindly placing things in my .vimrc file without knowing exactly what they do.

share|improve this question
:help 'sts' Try it out. :) – Roger Pate Nov 30 '13 at 17:28
up vote 8 down vote accepted

(sts) makes spaces feel like tabs (like deleting)

From apaulodesign

share|improve this answer
Perfect. That's an excellently commented config! – Eric Jul 26 '11 at 15:03
From your link: "softtabstop". – KCotreau Jul 26 '11 at 15:09

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.