Hello and thanks for reading,
I have been struggling for MONTHS to configure a network in my new home and am hoping you can help. For some reason, the wireless signal does not carry well in my house and anyway, I like being hooked up on a lan whenever possible. For those reasons, I have set up a primary wireless N router and then run LAN cable from the back of it to two end-points in my house (media room and office) where they are connected to older wireless routers.
I am a freelance software developer and know diddly squat about networking. I have spent so much time on this already but I just don't seem to "get" networking. So, hoping someone will have pity. . .
- Main Hub connected to cable modem: Frys Wireless N Router (http://www.frys.com/product/5978974?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG)
- Office: Linksys Wireless G (WRT54G)
- Media room: D-Link Wireless N (DIR-655)
- Frys Router is our primary wireless N service and has LAN connections to the office and media room. (this wireless N is working great except for the limited range)
- Linksys in my office has LAN connections to my HP laptop and to our HP C7250 printer (these LAN connections don't currently work, I don't think the wireless is working either)
- D-Link in media room has LAN connections to my PS3 and LG tv (these LAN connections do work, not sure if the wireless is working).
- Strengthen wireless signal throughout the house under a single network connection.
- Get the LAN connections in my office working so that I can use LAN to connect to the internet and to make my printer available on the home network.
- Would be AWESOME if I could connect my laptop to my PS3 over LAN and stream a movie to it.
- Some of my clients need me to connect to their networks through a VPN. Don't know if that matters.
- I spent time on this site (http://www.sveasoft.com) as they have some firmware that supposedly accomplishes what I need to do, but the supporting docs seem geared toward hardware pros.
Anyway, I am sure I will get a few RTFM comments, but please rest-assured that I have and am just stuck here.