I have a home server, with the following:
- ASUS Maximus II Formula LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard (Supports 0/1/5/10 Matrix RAID)
- Windows 7 Ultimate (Can upgrade to a server OS if need be)
- 1TB Hard Drive (x2)
- 2TB Hard Drive (x2)
My goal is to add drives to the server as needed to increase available space. When my case reaches its drive capacity, I will replace the smaller drives with new, larger drives. For instance, suppose my case had four drive bays. In order to add a new, 3TB drive, I'd need to replace one of the 1TB drives with the 3TB.
My ideal end state is:
- Ability to add additional drives
- Ability to replace smaller drives with larger drives
- Fault tolerance
- As little proprietary technology as possible
I am currently using windows spanned volumes, but I do not know how well it will work when I want to replace a smaller drive.