Super User is a question and answer site for computer enthusiasts and power users. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

can i get replacement slots that fit in usb ports the prongs are bent and unworking on 1 port and the other came out when charging a device in port.When trying to retrieve it. the pronged plastic piece snapped.Can it be repaired? Any help greatly appreciated

share|improve this question

Generally no. The ports are one solid (or not-so-solid in your case) piece and are soldered to the PCB and are therefore not easy to replace.

share|improve this answer
Somebody who has a replacement part (i.e. broken motherboard of same make/model) could desolder the socket and solder a new one. It is likely going to cost more to pay someone to do that than replace the motherboard, though. – LawrenceC Jul 29 '11 at 1:20

Buy a PCI, or PCIe-1x (whichever one you have available) USB card and use that.. tape off your broken ports or fill them with hot-glue because if the little wire prongs in there touch they can short-out and cause damage to your motherboard

share|improve this answer

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .