I have a fairly straightforward list of needs and wants from a server OS, and so far haven't found anything I'm truly happy with. I'm looking for:
- An OS that will run on my x64 CPU, 4GB RAM, 120GB OS drive
- A native, or highly supported, UPnP server
- Native RAID5 software support (very important to me)
- Generally "designed for server duty" (not looking for an auto-login desktop OS with a lot of things in the Startup folder)
- The ability to grab torrents and files from Usenet (which may conflict with previous requirement, if a Windows OS -- I'm unsure)
- Web configuration or some other happy bubbly interface
- Email notification of problems
- Installation from USB available
I have easy access to Microsoft software (MSDN sub), and I know my way around a Debian/Ubuntu box "well enough". The closer to turnkey the better, but I don't mind doing some configuration. In the interest of preventing flame wars, I will try ALL serious OS recommendations.
Right now, WHS2011 is out of the question because of the lack of RAID5 and the requirement of a 160GB OS drive.
edit: To clarify the torrent/newsgroup requirement: I realize this isn't an OS level thing, but most of the Windows solutions I'm familiar with require a desktop user to be logged in and don't run as a service.